Pages

About Me

My photo

My name is Sally Johnson and I adore quilting... I have lived on Cape Cod since 1974 and I am married and have two sons...

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Canning my Homemade Sauce



I decided to make my life very simple and easy. So as I usually do I decided to make homemade tomato sauce but with a twist. I wanted to relearn canning sauce. I did this one time probably about 40+ years ago. So I called my very good friend Cathy Hatch who is my true partner in crime when we work with the Red Cross. Anyway I got all the stuff and she brought her kit with her and this morning I did just that, Canned home made tomato sauce. I am thrilled to pieces. I shared on Facebook and got many responses as to what my recipe was. So not only will I share, but stay tuned for more recipes to come along with quilty stuff I will be sharing... Such a country girl I've become...


I am so thrilled after all was said and done I got 7 quarts of tomato sauce... The I found more ingredients to make even more... I think I won't have to buy any for a good long while..


Sally's Simple Tomato Sauce:

I want to first say that if you are using fresh Tomatoes remember that you need to prepare your tomatoes first, by blanching and peeling then seeding. Something I choose not to want to do and if I have to I will do it one time and one time only... I just don't want to have to deal with any of that work... Remember people I am a busy lady and I have a tone of stuff to do in life...

What I use for Ingredients:

3 large cans 29 oz. Stewed Tomatoes ( Any Brand will do)
4 cans 15oz. Tomato Sauce, not seasoned with and herbs
2 cans 6 oz. each Tomato Paste
2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
2 Fresh Green Peppers
1 large Sweet Onion
3 teaspoons of minced Garlic
1 Tablespoon each of: Oregano, Basil,  and Parsley
1 cup of fresh grated Romano Cheese
2 cups of wine ( White or Red) divided ( One for the sauce and one for you as when making sauce one must stay hydrated and remain relaxed.


Chop up the Onions and Peppers coarsely and Sautee' in the Olive Oil. after onions become translucent and peppers are soft add remaining ingredients and simmer on low for 4 hours... Make adjustments to taste if you feel it may need a little more of one of the herbs... Remember the sauce is to your taste. You may even need more wine for both you and the sauce...
 
Next take the pot of sauce and let cool. This make take as long as 5 hours or more... Refrigerate overnight and then the next day heat the sauce up one more time. After the sauce is hot then you can follow the canning direction as stated on the "Ball" Mason Jar box or any Better Homes and Garden Cook Book has a section for canning sauces...

Feel free to find me on Facebook if you have any questions I would be glad to help out...
Post a Comment