Friday, December 2, 2011

Holiday Blog Tour of Quilts












Welcome Quilters and Crafters




 I would like to take this opportunity to welcome all of you to our first of many blog tours. For the next 24hrs. I will be hosting an online quilt show from many of my Twitter friends creations. I have seen many of these and I must say they are spectacular.
We are very luck to have the works of eight quilters in this tour.  I have an added bonus. I am happy to announce that I have a guest quilter aboard. Ana Erl whose twitter name is "fishinstitchin" is a quilter and crafter whose work is just beautiful.
Retired mother of  2 boys, grandmother of 2 and wife to a great husband! Having been a seamstress since my high school years I wanted to try my hand at piecing/quilting when we began our family.  My piecing/quilting began in 1973, making denim re-cycled jean lap quilts.
  My first quilt pattern, the RWB one, came from an issue of Farm Journal, the 'Shoo-Fly' block.  I hand pieced the blocks, sashings and borders, but left the finishing hand quilting to a professional.
~~Of special note for this quilt~~On the evening of May 4, 2007, Greensburg, KS was devestated by an EF5 tornado, leveling at least 95% of the city.  Having moved from Greensburg in 1987 I am fortunate to still have the first real quilt I ever put together.  I often reflect on the many families whose heirloom quilts were blown away or destroyed by this tornado.

 I finally felt confident to tackle a bigger quilt project.  " Christmas Star"
by Judy Dafoe Hopkins, from her book 'Down the Rotary Road"  was my first real challenging attempt at intricate  blocks.  I made the 12 blocks during  my youngest son's high school senior year  LOL. The completed blocks were stored in a box until 2009, finally feeling I had taken enough classes that gave me the confidence to  put it together!  It was custom quilted by my friend Sandra, the quilt measures 54 " x 67".

In 2010 I made one for the Halloween season, "Mummy Mambo" fabric collection by Diane Knott and designed by Cyndi Walker for Clothworks. It was my first attempt at machine applique, the shapes on the pumpkins.  The quilt was machine quilted by a friend and measures 57" x 57".
 We are quite lucky to have her with us. Now Here are some of her creations. They are spectacular...



The second trip on this tour is the pictures of my quilts. I am sharing two quilts with you and one of them I made last year and the other was done this yr.
I also would like to share some of my works of art. I made this next quilt last year around th holidays. I got the pattern from McCall's Quilting Magazine but they had it as a pattern for a violet pattern material. It screamed Christmas to me so this is my version... I have used a red and gold material for the boarder. It is 100% cotton, and some holiday prints. I got these fabrics from JoAnne's last year...

And this next quilt I made is of a baby quilt I made from a kit I bought. A friend of my son's just had a baby girl so I made this baby quilt for her. I love the classic Winnie the Pooh!

So I do hope you have liked what you have seen thus far, but I have one more suprise for you:

Become a follow this blog to enter a chance for a drawing to receive some blog candy. I have some wonderful fabric from "Fat Quarter Shop" who has graciously agreed to sponsor this blog tour.  (The winner’s choice of 3 yards of Peacock Lane by Violet Craft.) Here is sample a peak of this line of fabric. So if you want to enter a chance to win all you have to do is follow my blog.


 Stay aboard and hop to the next tour. Our next quilter is Sharon Pernes from Craizee' Corners. Click below to see her great works of art.

 














11 comments:

Sara said...

I remember seeing the Winnie the Pooh quilt---too cute and your Christmas one is gorgeous!!

Ana said...

Thank you Sally for letting me join your "Holiday Blog Tour of Quilts""as a guest! Your quilts and all of the other blogger quilts are just fantastic!
Happy Holidays to all and wishing everyone a "Pieceful New Year""

Ana Earl aka "fishinstitchin

Jamie Kalvestran said...

Sally, Thanks for inviting me to participate in your Holiday Blog Tour!

Jamie Kalvestran

Lucia Kaiser said...

Your quilts are amazing. I can't believe the beautiful things you make. ~ Lucia

Carol A Spadea said...

Your Christmas quilt is s mashing and I ma always in the market for an idea for another baby quilt . Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year . Piecefully Carol fiberdiva@verizon.net

Anonymous said...

I LOVE your Christmas quilt and I ma always in the market for another baby quilt idea . Have a Merry Christmas . Piecefully Carol
fiberdiva@verizon.net

barbara said...

I am now a follower. I am really enjoy the blog quilt show.

Sallie said...

I'm a new follower coming from Quilt Dad. Thanks for the giveaway!

Cape Cod Cathy said...

Lovely work Sally!

Gwen said...

So looking forward to your Holiday Blog Tour! I found my way here from a visit at Quilt Dad's blog, and so glad I did! :-)

Jodi said...

I'm a day late but I'm glad I can still take the hop. Sally I know you put alot of work into this and looks like a great success!! Just wanted to say I love both your's and Ana's quilts!! How Wonderful!! I'm off now to continue the tour at Sha's blog. Well done!!