Pages

About Me

My photo

My name is Sally Johnson and I adore quilting... I have lived on Cape Cod since 1974 and I am married and have two sons...

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Sewing Tip # 3

Happy Wednesday Quilters!!!  What are your plans for the day?.. I will be sharing with you a quick tip this week, but invite you first to share with me on this blog the things you have planned for your sewing projects. How many of you have "WIP" works in progress?  Do you ever feel you have one of those projects that you just can't get past? You know it has to be done, but just can't move forward. I have some of these and I have packed them up. I sometimes just need to step away because it becomes very over whelming to think that I need to completing it. My latest work in progress is a "Family Tree Quilt" that I have to without fail finish for Christmas, it is a gift... Tell me what your plans are.

So now back to the tip of the week. This tip is about how to "Miter your Corners" for your quilt. When mitering corners there are a few steps you should follow to insure that they come out precise. I can honestly say I have a very hard time with this. Just add this to the list of many things I need to perfect when making a quilt.


the first step in mitering your corners is to take your material that has been created into a block and fold this in half. Place a pin at the center of the block. Fold a border strip of material in half and mark the center of this with a pin.

Take the two pieces of fabric right sides together and raw edges aligned, match the the center pins from block and border strip. Remember the border strip will extend pass the bock edges. Leave this as is do not trim.

Using a 1/4" seam allowance sew the border strip to the block. Start and stop stitching 1/4" from the corner block, back stitching at each end.

Press the seam allowance toward the border strips in the same manner.

With the right sides of fabric together, fold the block diagonally aligning raw edges of adjacent sides.

Open the seam allowance and align with a ruler along the diagonal fold, and mark a line from the seam to the raw edge. 

Stitch on the line, back stitching at the beginning  and stitching out to the raw edge.

Unfold your block, and make sure the strips lie flat. Correct any stitching if necessary. and trim to 1/4" seam allowance. Miter the remaining three corners, and when finished iron the seams open...

I do hope this does help you to make your quilt as perfect as it can be.

Oh and by the way please don't forget to join me for my Blog Tour of Quilts and show off your most treasured piece of work. December 2 to 3rd I am aiming for a holiday themed quilt but some of us just don't have holiday themed items to show, show what you are most proud of. So with this said I hope you share with all of us a quilted project. I love to share other quilters works of art on my blog. I know so many talented quilters and I look at what they have done. And I have a surprise guest for all of you, who will be featured on my blog for the tour... It simply amazes me to see all the great talent out there... We have 8 participants and I am hoping for many more... I think it will be a great time... For more information email me directly at tikerbell44@gmail.com I can email you the specifics you need... This is very fun, and involves "No Stress"!!!
Post a Comment