Pages

About Me

My photo

My name is Sally Johnson and I adore quilting... I have lived on Cape Cod since 1974 and I am married and have two sons...

Saturday, July 30, 2011

A Way to Organize you Quilt and Craft Room

I saw a post on twitter the other day that stated they wished to be organized and stay organized.
There is many was to stay organized. Many of us say that we will have a New Years resolution to become more organized. I became more organized when I left my corporate health care job and took a part time private duty nursing position. I took a long hard look at everything and told my self that I will eliminate what I really don't need and what I haven't looked at in at least two months.

So from that point I started going through everything I owned, all the paperwork, and all my crafts, scrappbooking, stamping items, and quilting. I still have yet gone through everything, but I weed away at least once a week, something that needs to be gone through and pick what I will use in at least the next two months. If I know I won't use it I sell or give to charity.

When I moved into my quilt studio over the weekend I spent many hours going through all the fabric, that was very hard for me to part with some of the items I saw, but I did get rid of some of it. I gave some away to a organization called the Linus Project,and then I have a friend who I am teaching to quilt so I started a bag of scraps for her, so that she would have her own stash. This included thread that matched as well so she would have a great start to her quilting hobby. 

When I was putting things away, I made plastic packages with fabrics. I organized then not only by fabric line but by color. I ended up with six packages of fabric.

With my threads I used a drawer and separated by color group. All of the tread in this drawer is from "Connecting Threads" and is 100% cotton. Then I counted how many bobbins I have and placed a bobbin with each spool of thread so that whenI go to saw I have a bobbin all set with the thread.

I have a temporary cutting station in the room, that will be reloacted due to the size of the cutting board. I have placed in this area all the Items close by that involve cutting: rulers templates, rotary cutters, and the Acuquilt Go! and all of the dies that go with it..

My sewing machine is on a table and I have the case close by. I also have a travel case with wheels next to it so I can be ready to be on the go and slide things right in.

The Biggest Rule I Have: No One Is Allowed In My Room Without My Permission!!


That was one of the things I stated when I moved in. No Children and No Husbands...

The less traffic the less I have to clean up.

So here are some pictures of the organization I have started... Hope you enjoy...






Post a Comment